Save energy. Save money. What could be better?
Homeowners may claim a tax credit for ENERGY STAR® certified windows, doors and skylights purchased from 2015 to 2016. The following guidance is not intended as legal advice. It is recommended that you visit www.irs.gov or consult a tax professional with specific questions.
To be eligible for the credit, Windows, Doors and Skylights must:
- Meet or exceed ENERGY STAR® program requirements (Version 6.0).
- Be installed in a taxpayer's primary residence.
- Be installed between January 1, 2015 and December 31, 2016.
Homeowners may receive a tax credit equal to 10% of the product cost, up to:
- $200 for eligible windows and skylights.
- $500 for eligible doors.
- Installation costs may NOT be included.
Homeowners may receive NO MORE than $500 total for all energy efficiency tax credits. If you claimed an energy efficiency tax credit in a previous taxable year, please consult a tax professional or visit www.irs.gov to determine your remaining eligibility for this credit.
For more information about this credit or those from previous years, visit www.irs.gov and see the instructions for Form 5695, Residential Energy Credits.